Who we are and what we do...
We are a leading global medical technology company with a legacy spanning over 20 years, specializing in cutting-edge portable oxygen therapy solutions designed for patients with chronic respiratory conditions. Our mission is centered around enhancing lives through comprehensive respiratory care. Each day, our dedicated teams and associates are motivated to create a meaningful impact. Our commitment to serving patients and customers begins by prioritizing the support and development of our employees, ensuring they continually enhance their knowledge and skills to propel their careers forward. We have a new opening for a Mechanical Engineer in our Goleta, CA or Plano, TX site(s).
What you'll do...
The primary responsibility of the Mechanical Engineer is to design, release, and support the manufacturing of Inogen’s respiratory medical devices. The Mechanical Engineer is a key member of the Engineering team and participates in all product development phases. Key responsibilities include the design of internal components by injection molding, stamping, die-casting, machining, and various prototype manufacturing methods. The Mechanical Engineer may also be assigned to focus their activities on existing product lines to make improvements to user experience, quality, reliability, cost, and efficiency in manufacturing.
- Member of the Engineering team in all product development activities
- Support new and existing product design CAD
- Update mechanical CAD from DFM feedback
- Support operator training
- Responsible for executing mechanical testing of concentrator components
- Root cause analysis of mechanical failures
- Support of existing product lines with continuous improvement of mechanical components for reliability, cost reduction, and product performance
- Create technical part and assembly drawings
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance
- Comply with all company policies and procedures
- Assist with any other duties as assigned
- Working with other engineers, the Mechanical Engineer will design and model all mechanical components using Solidworks.
- Provide analysis on system design and integration.
- Analyze parts for manufacturability, tolerances, and good design practices.
- Determine critical to quality dimensions during the design phase of components and ensure they are translated to the drawings.
- Responsible for designs, 3D models, as well as part and assembly drawings throughout the product development cycle.
- Support Inogen product development efforts, including design of compressor systems, valve manifolds, internal structural components, external enclosure parts, cooling systems, and vibration isolation mounts.
- Responsible for testing and validation of designed components and systems.
- Interaction with manufacturing engineers to maintain drawings and 3D database in accordance with Inogen part documentation procedure, including updates based on feedback from Engineering and Manufacturing design reviews and continuous improvement data
- Provide consistent attention to reducing defects in manufacturing and field returns through continuous improvement and lean practices
- Provide support to manufacturing as necessary to maintain production capacity, including problem identification, analysis, and solutions
- Responsible for FMEA of system subcomponents within the oxygen concentrator design.
- Administrate Inogen's EPDM system and all parts during the development phases until release to production.
- Act as a vendor contact to develop supply relationships that offer cost-effective high-quality manufacturing of Inogen designs.
- Mentor junior engineers.
- Review engineering drawings and test reports for accuracy and completeness, following good documentation practices.
- Responsible for system level design and material selections.
- Select, implement, and maintain appropriate design tools for the execution of Inogen mechanical designs.
- Select and develop appropriate manufacturing techniques for parts with consideration for cost, reliability, and supply chain complexity.
- Review and analyze DFM to ensure tooling design meets requirements for part quality.
- Generate mechanical design specifications for Inogen products.
- Write protocols for design verification and validation of Inogen products.
What you'll know...
- Must have strong work ethic
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required
- Attention to detail with accurate and complete documentation
- Effective conflict resolution
- Analytical & problem-solving skills & ability to multitask
- Solutions-oriented problem solver
- Versed in and able to effectively apply common root cause analysis tools
- Excellent planning, communication, and organizational skills
- Ability to effectively interface with different departments within the company
- Knowledge of plastics, metal, and rubber material properties and design
- Model based design and analysis
- Experience with mechanical design of complex electro-pneumatic assemblies
- Tolerance analysis of complex mechanical assemblies
- Experience with injection molding
- Experience with tight tolerance machining and die casting
- Self-motivated and capable of self-direction
- Experience with fabrication equipment
- Highly motivated and able to act as a key part of the Engineering team
- Desire and ability to perform hands-on prototyping, testing, and troubleshooting
Experience and education you'll have...
- Bachelors in Engineering or related technical discipline, required
- MS Engineering or PhD, preferred
- 8-10+ years of experience in mechanical engineering, required
- Advanced knowledge/proficiency in Microsoft Office, Solidworks, and EPDM, required
- Advanced knowledge/proficiency in ISO 9001 or ISO 13485, required
- Advanced knowledge of manufacturing techniques, including plastic injection molding, die-casting, and machining, required
- A combination of training, education, and experience that is equivalent to the qualifications listed above and that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities
Inogen offers employees...
- A culture of respect, diversity, collaboration, and innovation fostering inclusiveness and superior performance.
- Attractive compensation and benefit packages which are practical, robust and equitable.
- A commitment to support ongoing professional growth through career development, on the job experiences and training opportunities.
- Diverse and flexible work arrangements to achieve the optimum balance between work and personal responsibilities.
- An unwavering commitment to company values, employee safety and excellence in everything we do.
What we believe about diversity...
Diversity drives innovation; inclusion fosters belonging, growth and success. Inogen believes that it takes multiple perspectives and voices to create a culture and workplace which fosters engagement, teamwork, and employee satisfaction to perform our best and deliver on commitments. We are dedicated to fostering an environment where all employees feel valued, included, and can share their ideas so that we can exceed even our own expectations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.